Drawingless Product Engineering & Manufacturing
Enterprise Collaboration and Data Exchange
Since most companies use 3D models not only in product development, but also in manufacturing and assembly department, one would assume that they already said goodbye to classic 2D drawings.
But what's really state of the art in manufacturing companies?
To find it out, we launched a survey and already had 65 participants (at the time of evaluation) from the following industries:
The survey was divided into the following areas:
- Design Data
- Technical Data Package
- Change and Configuration Management Data
- External and Internal Manufacturing Data Exchange
- Quality Requirements, Planning, and Inspection Code Generation
- Enterprise Collaboration and Data Exchange
Below we will show you the detailed survey results and some possible solution approaches in the field "Enterprise Collaboration and Data Exchange".
Simply click on the following tabs:
Survey results and possible solution approaches...
Possible Solution Approaches on the Way to Drawingless "Enterprise Collaboration and Data Exchange"
Today's development processes consist of hundreds of decision-making situations and parallel workflows.
Therefore, a good cross-divisional cooperation and communication are becoming increasingly important. Drawings, however, often are still essential resources for the exchange of information. But how can information be exchanged smoothly without using drawings?
PMI (Product Manufacturing Information)
PMI (Product Manufacturing Information) is used in 3D CAD and product development systems to convey design information for manufacturing. PMI includes information such as:
- Dimensional tolerances
- Form and positional tolerances
- Surface information
- Sectional representations
The CAD neutral 3D format "JT" enables the visualization of manufacturing relevant information directly on the model and thus can be used as a drawing replacement when working with customers, suppliers, assembly department or manufacturing department. To view the JT data and PMI, viewer like BCT Inspector, Teamcenter Visualization or JT2GO can be used.
Teamcenter Active Workspace Client - Enterprise-wide provision of PDM data
Teamcenter’s capabilities for community collaboration provide a platform for sharing information and working together across the product lifecycle.
With Active Workspace, you can further provide company-wide all data from your PLM system via a new Teamcenter client. Active Workspace helps you make smarter decisions, taking into account all necessary information, faster and easier than ever before:
- Application for non-traditional "PLM" users
- No detailed PLM knowledge necessary
- Web-intuitive application
- Easy and intelligible handling
- Expect seamless access through a variety of devices
- Visual representation of relationships
- Powerful, high-performance search
- Tasks / workflow-focused
- External data connectivity (ERP, DMS, etc.)
- No plugins or 3rd party software necessary
- No additional Teamcenter licenses required
Effective change management when exchanging data
Change management also plays an important role in the collaboration with suppliers and other departments, because insufficient documented modification descriptions can cause increased time effort as well as many and repeated queries.
BCT Inspector can also assist in the collaboration with suppliers or other departments by automatically identifying design changes. The intelligent model comparison, labelling of changed parts and a clear graphical and tabular identification of all changed characteristics, allows a fast and accurate tracking of all design changes.
The data for external suppliers or other internal departments can be automatically exported from the BCT Inspector tool in a neutral format. These can be opened - without any CAD system - with BCT Inspector Viewer, which provides various opportunities and advantages:
- Generating inspection reports
- Comparison of model and drawing revisions, including characteristics data
- (CAD-independent) ballooning can be continued (for example, on the supplier side)
Due to the neutral display in BCT Inspector, for example the quality assurance department can transmit changes back to the design department - without using a CAD-system.
This approach can completely replace drawings in cooperation with customers, suppliers or internal departments such as assembly or manufacturing.
Connection between Microsoft SharePoint and the PDM-system Teamcenter
BCT CenterPoint allows Microsoft SharePoint users a simple and fast access to drawing and product data.
Via a Microsoft SharePoint Server a non-redundant, simple and above all secure access to product development data is granted to all company areas involved in the product development process.
The primary advantages are the fast access even in slow networks as well as the flexible allocation of access rights. This is an important issue when it comes to protecting intellectual property when collaborating with other locations. In this way not only product development teams but especially downstream companies can access structured product and drawing information in their accustomed manner in a very user friendly way without any additional training effort.
- Capturing of existing company knowledge through linkage of existing applications and systems
- Data access without special expertise
- Usage of modern web service technology allows minimized installation effort
- Multitude of helpful web parts, e.g. display of meta data from Teamcenter (item lists/BOM), display of PDF / office documents
- Authorization controlled access in PLM context
- Possibility of further processing, e.g. sending via email
Do you have further questions regarding this topic?
We invite you to an active exchange with other users... Join our LinkedIn Group!