Drawingless Product Engineering & Manufacturing Technical Data Package
Since most companies use 3D models not only in product development, but also in manufacturing and assembly department, one would assume that they already said goodbye to classic 2D drawings.
But what's really state of the art in manufacturing companies?
To find it out, we launched a survey and already had 65 participants (at the time of evaluation) from the following industries:
The survey was divided into the following areas:
- Design Data
- Technical Data Package
- Change and Configuration Management Data
- External and Internal Manufacturing Data Exchange
- Quality Requirements, Planning, and Inspection Code Generation
- Enterprise Collaboration and Data Exchange
Below we will show you the detailed survey results and some possible solution approaches in the field "Technical Data Package".
Simply click on the following tabs:
Survey results and possible solution approaches...
in the field "Enterprise Collaboration & Data Exchange"
Possible Solution Approaches for a Drawingless Provision of the "Technical Data Package"
The Technical Data Package for Quality Assurance and Suppliers
Technical Data Packages provide the product development with a comprehensive description. Therefore, they are also an essential basis for the procurement of a product or part, and thus for the cooperation with suppliers.
The Technical Data Package contains a collection of different elements, which include all information and relevant technical data such as drawings, specifications, design descriptions, standards, quality requirements or provisions for quality control.
If you export the Technical Data Package for the quality assurance and suppliers automatically out of BCT Inspector, the package includes the full feature table, NX drawings in neutral format and references to JT PMI models.
The data package then can be opened with BCT Inspector, which provides various opportunities and advantages:
- Generating inspection reports
- Comparison of model and drawing revisions, including feature data
- Ballooning can be continued independently from the CAD-system (for example the suppliers)
Also visit our webinar about BCT Inspector.
Generation of neutral formats from the PDM-system Teamcenter
The source for the technical data package is the PDM-system, which allows the management of the product data and process-related information in a single and central system.
BCT provides different dispatcher modules for the automatic generation of neutral formats from the PDM system Teamcenter.
Thus, CAD models can automatically be converted in neutral formats such as JT, with all manufacturing information (PMI).
The creation of neutral formats, for example, is necessary for the following use cases:
- to examine within an approval process
- to provide data to suppliers
- for transfer to an ERP system
The dispatcher modules are available as part of the BCT TC Toolbox.
Accurate Teamcenter Workflows through automatic checks of your data
Teamcenter workflows support you in the automated generation of the Technical Data Package.
In spite of using PLM, consistency and quality of data is often still far from satisfactory.
Via early detection - even before the release - of data and consistency errors in the product development cycle, these problems can be avoided. As a Teamcenter plug-in, BCT CheckIt provides the Teamcenter users with the option of flexible data checks which are fast and easy to perform. The verification can cover various
- Are all mandatory fields filled out?
- Do the entered values meet the format specifications?
- Are the dependent attributes correct?
This results in the following advantages:
- Fast and secure workflows
- High data quality - primarily when exchanging data with other systems
- Time savings in failure analysis
- Avoidance of failure costs caused by defective meta data
- Time savings for workflow administration
Also visit our webinar about BCT CheckIt.
Teamcenter Active Workspace Client - Enterprise-wide provision of PDM data
With the Active Workspace Client, you can provide company-wide all data from your PLM system via a new Teamcenter client.
Active Workspace helps you make smarter decisions, taking into account all necessary information, faster and easier than ever before.
- Application for non-traditional "PLM" users
- No detailed PLM knowledge necessary
- Web-intuitive application
- Easy and intelligible handling
- Expect seamless access through a variety of devices
- Visual representation of relationships
- Powerful, high-performance search
- Tasks / workflow-focused
- External data connectivity (ERP, DMS, etc.)
- No plugins or 3rd party software necessary
- No additional Teamcenter licenses required
Connection between Microsoft Office SharePoint Server and the PDM-system Teamcenter
BCT CenterPoint allows Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server (MOSS) users a simple and fast access to drawing and product data.
Via a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server (MOSS) web client a non-redundant, simple and above all secure access to product development data is granted to all company areas involved in the product development process.
The primary advantages are the fast access even in slow networks as well as the flexible allocation of access rights. This is an important issue when it comes to protecting intelectual property when collaborating with other locations. In this way not only product development teams but especially downstream companies can access structured product and drawing information in their accustomed manner in a very user friendly way without any additional training effort.
- Capturing of existing company knowledge through linkage of existing applications and systems
- Data access without special expertise
- Usage of modern webservice technology allows minimized installation effort
- Multitude of helpful webparts, e.g. display of meta data from Teamcenter (item lists/BOM), display of PDF / office documents
- Authorization controlled access in PLM context
- Possbility of further processing, e.g. sending via email
Do you have further questions regarding this topic?
We invite you to an active exchange with other users... Join our LinkedIn Group!